Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I am an American

As an American, I feel I have certain rights. Naturally. Included in my many rights, is my right to vote. I take pride in my right to vote because our government is of the people, by the people, and for the people. And I am one of those people. I get to choose. And I’m proud of it.

However, there is a downside to everything in life. One specifically, is that there will always be people, who didn’t vote with you, who feel it’s within their right to challenge my vote, or to ask me to justify my vote. I feel this is wrong on so many levels. First, who in their right mind believes it is ever okay to challenge someone else’s right? Second, why should I have to justify my right? The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution sets forth that I, as a woman, have the right to vote. Nowhere in the text of the Nineteenth Amendment does it set forth that I then have to turn around and justify my vote, or support, to someone who doesn’t agree with me.

Bottom line: it’s a fight I’m not going to have. I will avoid it at all costs because I don’t feel it benefits anyone to be involved in a heated debate with a friend or family member over politics (or religion, for that matter). Each and every person walking this earth is entitled to their opinions and beliefs. However, I don’t feel that it’s ever within another person’s right to challenge someone else’s opinions or beliefs. It’s a bully maneuver and I won’t participate. I, once again, choose to take the higher road in an effort to preserve my friendships and relationships with family members. If they choose to push the issue, they are the one that will come out looking like the loser, every time.

3 comments:

♥Jacqueline said...

Amen! My dad is a republican, I voted democrat. Now, my SIL, Smom, and Dad, give me nothing but shit over it. I get emails ALL the time bashing on our president, etc. I'm with you on this one! Now when my dad starts in on me, I tell him I'm not interested, it's only going to piss me off to try to explain myself. Sometimes, though, it just doesn't work.

CreativeMish said...

I agree! How boring would the world be if we were all the same! I think its ok to discuss and or debate our beliefs and what we are passionate about.. (if both parties agree to it) But we all need to agree to disagree.. and respect each other.
It is MY belief that God placed our leaders in place for a reason. Even if its not who we like or voted for. We should respect them and support them to the best of our ability..

Anonymous said...

Gaymen! Thank Cher someone in this world decides to take the higher road.

JENN FOR PRESIDENT!!