Monday, February 23, 2009

Knick Knack Tour

So, over by our front door, we have some built-in shelves. I love them. Because I am a decorating fool, when money allows. (Which, isn't a lot of the time. So pictures and candles kind of take over my house. But at least it smells nice all the time!)
Anyway, one of the shelves is dedicated to the hubby and me. And our infinite love. Yeah. Anyway. So, from right to left (because I'm being a daredevil and going backwards from the norm) in this picture, we have a hand-made cross-stitch that Eric's younger cousin, SaraBeth, made for us and presented at the wedding. It's awesome. I love it. And she framed it. Even better! Then we have a lovely potpourri (let me explain what just happened here. I couldn't figure out how to spell 'potpourri'. So I decided to live on the edge and just leave it. But my OCD-ness (as so many people like to point out that I have, though I don't) took over and I had to click on dictionary.com and look up the spelling of the damn word. Seriously. It was eating at me as I continued to type my post) in a tall glass vase. It smells amazing. But it's old. I need to change out the potpourri (see, now that I know how to spell it, I'm going to use it 73 more times in this one blog post). And then a lovely picture of us on Christmas 2006, which was ironically when Carter was conceived. So the odd thing about that picture is that we are pregnant and don't even know it yet. I think it's a cool thing. Maybe not to other people. But it is to me. And it's my shelf. Then we have several shells that we picked up on our honeymoon and brought back over the border. Because you can do that with shells. And then.......

Then we have this fella.

Our Mayan mask. That we got screwed into buying. Well, I would have bought it anyway. We bought two actually, and gave one to my father. Seriously though? When we were walking around the Mayan ruins, all the locals were whistling at us (have I mentioned that I HATE whistling?) ONE DOLLAR! ONE DOLLAR! So finally, I walked over and said, "seriously? One dollar for this mask?" And the guy said "yes! One Mayan dollar!" So I inquired, "Oh. And how much is one Mayan dollar to American?" He tells me, with a big grin, "Fifteen American dollars." See, this is where I started to walk away. I don't like being deceived. So I finally talked him into the $15 for TWO masks. I'm sure we still got ripped off, but we wanted some momentos (mentos, the freshmaker!) from our honeymoon. So we came home with the overpriced mask.

And that's our shelf of love.

No comments: