Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In the Moments Before.....

On Friday, September 14, 2007, Eric and I went to TGIFridays for a late lunch. I was having a "feeling", so Eric advised that I eat as much as I can, because once I go into labor, no more food. The lunch was uneventful, I ate every last bite.

After lunch, we went to Home Depot in search of a new drain cover for the shower. I was feeling a little "trickle" down in the womanly area, so I asked Eric to see if I had a spot on the back of my pants. He got down on his hands and knees to scope it out. Completely mortified, I told him I would go to the bathroom and check it out for myself. There was a little spot, but I figured maybe I just had to pee. So I peed and went back out to find Eric. Seemingly uneventful.

We got home and Eric went outside to mow the lawn. I called my mother to tell her that I think my water might have broken, but I wasn't sure. She told me to let her know what happens. The second I hung up the phone, I got up off the couch and the floodgates opened, lol! I ran to the bathroom and sat on the toilet......just letting it go. "Oh shit" ran through my mind several times.....sitting there, alone, in my moment of panic, thinking "it's going to happen" with feelings of excitement and, again, complete panic. Was I ready for this? Could I do it? I opened the bathroom window and told Eric that my water broke. He asked if I was sure. feeling the liquid continue to run down my legs, I told him "uh, yes, I'm sure." He wanted to finish mowing the lawn (!!!) so I made my phone calls....back to my mom, water broke for sure this time, my aunts, my friends, etc. Finally, I called the hospital (I know, nice priorities, huh?) and again was asked if I was sure the water had broken. Hello people - I'm not calling to listen to myself speak. So they told me to come on in. So I packed my bags....then realized I had no pads. I called my friend, Jenny, and had her take Eric to Wal-Mart, because I wasn't letting him pick out pads for me. I would have ended up with Depends.....which, thinking back on it now, might not have been a bad idea! I went through two pairs of pants, and soaked a blanket, just on the drive down to the hospital. But we made it to the hospital...I changed my pants again, even though they were soaked before I even stepped out of the car. And we made our way in..........

No comments: