Thursday, August 20, 2009

How Does This Make Sense?

This topic is something that has fired me up for a long time, and I would love to hear your comments about it.


I don't know how new this fancy little procedure is, but it's a true definition of the term "rip off". I called in to pay my car payment yesterday. I meant to pay it online and by the time I left work to go pick up my son, I realized I never made the payment. So I called in my payment and they CHARGED me. To make a payment over the phone. Granted, this isn't the first time I have run into this, and it probably won't be the last, but how in the hell do these companies get away with this?


And it's not just financial institutions. I get charged a fee every time I pay my gas bill online, or my water bill. My husband's auto loan provider charges him $15 to pay by phone and an additional $26 if it's by check (over the phone). WHAT?!


What I don't understand, especially with these utility companies, is that we have already been charged for using their service, whether it be the power or the water or the gas. Why should be be charged for PAYING them for these services? How does that possibly make sense?


Has anyone else run into this? Is there a solution? Has anyone actually asked these companies what entitles them to charge above and beyond the service we are already paying for? I haven't yet, but you can be sure I will next time I make a call!

3 comments:

♥Jacqueline said...

My car comp does the same thing. An arm and a leg. I've asked and THEY say that that is how much THEY are charged to charge for you, so you have to pay for it. It IS ridiculous. Maybe we should protest...

Itskellerific said...

Our electric company charges us $1.95 to pay by phone. I know that isn't a lot of money, but it makes me mad every single month when I pay the bill. The only way to not pay the fee is to mail your payment in.

If anything, I think they should charge for payments that are mailed in. Mailed payments require a person to process them. It also isn't the greenest option (since America is so concerned with how green we can be). Paying by phone is more convenient (in my opinion), more green, and is automated, which means a person doesn't have to do it (saving the company money).

So there you have it, my two cents.

Jenn said...

Wendie - I'm afraid I will have to charge you for your two cents!