Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Random Fact #17

I was pretty darn good at softball.


Not to brag, but I'll go out on a limb at say that, at my best, I was one of the best pitchers in the state. I started pitching when I was very young. I don't think I started out pitching - I always played infield.....third base, shortstop, second base, and even first base at times. And back then, pitching was kind of a back up thing that I could do if the team needed me to. As I got older, I think we all realized that I had some talent. So my parents worked with me on all the dynamics of the game....hitting, pitching, fielding, etc. Along the way, I went to pitching camps, met with pitching coaches (including Mr. Greg Alder, who was asked to play for the Men's Olympic Softball Team) and fine-tuned my skills as a pitcher. When I was getting ready to go from middle school to high school, I made the decision to try out for varsity softball. My dad tried to talk me out of it - not knowing if I really had what it took, and not wanting to see his child disappointed if she didn't make the cut. I had a rival my entire softball career - and ironically, she was on my team. You aren't supposed to be rivals with your own teammates! Anyway, I had heard that she and one of my best friends, Shoshauna, had made the varsity team as freshmen. So I made up my mind. I was going to try out. And so I did. The fielding portion went very well. I didn't hit worth beans and was very defeated because of that. But then the coach came to me and told me that she had heard I could pitch. Why yes, yes I can. :) So she had me go to the gym with a couple other pitchers and catchers. I got all warmed up, noting that my speed was pretty much matching my rivals. I thrived on competition, so I threw everything I had - all my pitches, as fast as I could. And I knew right then that I blew the coach away.
I think we had two days of try-outs (Saturday and Sunday), and on Sunday after try-outs, they posted the team roster. My name was on the list. The only freshman that year to make varsity - and let me tell you, not many freshman AT ALL make the team.
That first year, they didn't really know me and what I was capable of during games, so I was kind of a back-up pitcher and player. I remember sitting there one cold game, watching as our second baseman got hurt - nailed in the face with a ball that cut her upper eye open. The coach put me in and the first pitch after that was a screaming ball hit to me. I caught it, tagged the runner, and threw the ball to first, for a double play. This girl can play. :) Our "star" pitcher, my bitter rival, struggled through the season....often doing great at the beginning of a game, but tapering off towards the end. Which made for some nervous games. So the coach started putting me in to save our butts. And that's how I started making a name for myself - put her in and she'll pull us out of this mess. And I did just that - winning games.
My junior year, we made it to the District Championship Game and played one of our rivals, Centennial High. It was pouring rain - an absolute downpour. Which is a pitchers nightmare - a wet ball is hard to pitch!! My rival was pitching and doing a great job - we were leading and that's all that mattered. While she was running the bases, she tore her ACL - ending her career. I was put into the game to finish it off and ended up winning the District Championship. We went to State..............and did poorly. The whole team lost their morale when my rival tore her ACL. I think we could have done far better and wished the team didn't think that SHE was the whole team and carried us. Because she didn't - we were good without her.
I decided not to play softball my senior year and honestly, it's my only regret in my life. I usually don't believe in regrets, but that's my one. I had a boy that I wanted to spend more time with, so I gave up playing softball in high school and decided I wasn't going to go away to college to play either. I gave up a damn fine career for some loser and I will never forgive myself for that.
However, the dream was amazing while it lasted.

2 comments:

Itskellerific said...

i can't believe i've lived to hear you say you have regret!

CreativeMish said...

What a great story! No wonder you're such a nut over the sport! :)