Monday, June 30, 2008

Remember When.....



On this day, four years ago, my grandfather passed away. The following is from his obituary:

Dallas Blake was born on December 14, 1927, along with his twin sister, Darlene, in Frontier County, Nebraska. Dallas loved to joke that he and his sister were such small babies that their mother put them each in a shoebox and laid them next to the fire to stay warm at night. Dallas grew up in McCook, Nebraska, one of five children. After finishing school, he served in the U.S. Army from 1947-1948, and again from 1950-1951. On June 2, 1950, he married my grandmother, LaVerne. After honorable discharge from the military, he began a career with the Interior Department Bureau of Reclamation in McCook. In 1965, Dallas and LaVerne relocated to Boise, Idaho following a promotion. Dallas was most proud of his involvement with the Yough Conservation Corps. Dallas retired in 1983 following a 34 year career with the Bureau of Reclamation.

As his children grew, Dallas coached Little League baseball for years. Once his grandchildren became old enough to play, he never missed a game, rain or shine, and everyone knew when Dallas was in the stands.

Dallas was an avid horseman and a lifetime member of the Boise Valley Cutting Horse Assocation. He held numerous positions in the association, including two terms as president.

In August 2002, Dallas was diagnosed with a rare brain tumor, which he and his family fought tirelessly. Against all odds, Dallas overcame numerous setbacks, much like a cat with nine lives. Throughout his two year battle, Dallas never complained and he never gave up. He fought the good fight until June 30, 2004, when he was too tired to fight any longer.

My grandfather was an amazing man. He always had time to teach us kids how to ride horses - every last bit of which I still remember.

I have a very vivid memory of standing in his driveway, choking on a piece of hard candy at a young age - and my grandpa stuck his finger down my throat and got that piece of candy. And it was a running joke every time I reached for a piece of hard candy after that, "Jenny, are you sure you can eat that?"

He loved black jelly beans, and peaches with vanilla ice cream. I always remember eating that as dessert when we would stay at my grandparents' house.

I will never forget this man. I will never forget standing at his bedside, given the opportunity to say goodbye. And I talked to him and didn't think he could hear me, but he squeezed my hand. I knew he heard me. I love you grandpa - I miss you every day.

1 comment:

CreativeMish said...

This is nice. Your mom looks alot like him