Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Random Fact #24

(it's been a while, huh?)

I love genealogy.

My family thinks I am the biggest geek for this, but I love tracing back my family history. Without making a huge post and boring everyone with the details, I was able to track back my great-grandmother on my dad's side of the family to Germany circa the 1500s. We are German all the way! And they didn't make their treck to the land of the free until late in the 1800s, where they settled in Utah.

I was able to trace my grandfather on my mom's side of the family back to England, circa the 1600s. They came to America very early on, most likely with the original settlers, started in Connecticut, made their way to Indiana, then Nebraska. I have a lot of family still in Nebraska.

I know my grandmother's side of the family on my mom's side is Irish - with her maiden name being McKillip. I will have to ask my grandma what her parents' names were so that I can start tracing that portion of the family.

It's great when there are free sites out there that will let you trace your pedigree back as far as records will take you. I think it's fascinating to find out where you come from.
In case you are interested, here is the free site I use:

1 comment:

CreativeMish said...

If you need any help let me know. Diana from work is an expert doing this. She has worked at the Family History library for years.. She has all kinds of resources..