Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lions and Tigers and.......no bears, AGAIN

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day. We spent most of the morning doing some spring cleaning around the house.....about 3 hours worth actually. And after Carter took a nap, we headed down to the zoo to check out the animals. This trip was really fun because a lot of the books and movies Carter has feature most of these animals. So he was excited to see them in "real life."
The monkeys were quite tame today. Usually they are swinging all over the place, hootin' and hollerin'. Maybe they just woke up from their naps, too.

We also saw the bald eagles - both were injured, and that's why they are at the zoo. As you can see, one wing is fine, but the other is pretty badly hurt. Not sure what happened to them. But they were certainly vocal while we were there.

I put Eric behind the camera several times today - since I'm usually the picture taker, there are hardly any pictures of Carter and me. We also got to see the giraffes outside. Every time we have seen them in the past, they have been inside their {huge} house. So it was nice to see them out and about.

The lions were also pretty active today. The male was sitting right by the viewing window - but the female was pacing all over the place. I think she was having a bad day - what do you think?


We also went to the penguin house, which we had never been to before. I'm not sure how we managed to skip this the last couple times we have been to the zoo. But Carter LOVED the penguins. They were swimming all over the place.



Right here, he was telling Eric that the penguins will bit your finger. Every animal we saw today, Carter pointed out how they would bite your finger.....which is most certainly true.

Going down the BIG giraffe slide.
In the tunnel to view the prairie dogs.
The two brother tigers were definitely fiesty today - they were fighting when we first walked up, but as soon as I took out the camera, they just paced around. Go figure. I was waiting for a good NatGeo moment! (have I ever mentioned how cool it would be to work for NatGeo?!)

Carter especially loved the lemurs, since they play a big role in the Madagascar movies.
This is an African porcupine - I have never seen anything like it. Definitely not something I would want to meet in the wild!



All in all - it was a fantastic afternoon. Carter had a ball seeing all his favorite animals....though he didn't see his main favorite: a dinosaur. Better luck next time kiddo!



3 comments:

♥Jacqueline said...

Eric got some great shots! They turned out really nice! Looks like a lot of fun!

Itskellerific said...

I know exactly what you mean about Carter being excited to see animals that are featured in his books. Spencer and I went to an aquarium today and she was really, really excited to see the turtles, octopi (sp?), and other marine life that is featured in some of her books. I was a proud mama when she knew the names to several species without me telling her. And Spencer was really happy about it too!

CreativeMish said...

Sounds like alot of fun. I've never seen the penguins either.. I love how he told you about how the animals will bite your finger. :)