Thursday, March 11, 2010

How Do You Decide?

When is enough, enough when it comes to your pet?
I've had my cat for 5 years now. I got her when I lived on my own - shortly before my husband and I moved in together. She pees. She's fully litterbox trained, yet she still pees. If you leave a towel on the floor, she will pee on it. Not every day - but still, consistently. And when my husband moved in with me, she didn't adjust well to a new person and the new person's dog. So she peed more. Then we had a baby. She peed more. On my clothes. His clothes. The floor. Bathroom rugs. Everywhere BUT her litterbox - which is cleaned out REGULARLY. Then another cat came along, and she REALLY didn't like that. So she started pooping. I have reached my wit's end with this cat more times than I can count, but I just can't bring myself to take her to the pound. Why? Because that's where I got her. I adopted her when she was 2 years old to save her from being put down. And it seems cruel to take her back to the same place where she will most certainly meet the same demise.
My husband and I have had countless fights about this cat and her peeing issues. And I'm back to my wit's end. What do I do with her? Take her to the pound? Make her an outside-only cat? What happens in the winter when there is three feet of snow? I want to keep my cat - I truly do. But I have zero patience left for her and I really don't feel like I need to bend over backwards to find a solution to her peeing.
HELP?? What would you do?

3 comments:

Queen of the Misfits said...

I don't know what to do about mine either... sorry no help here. This morning, I went to put on my shoe AND IT WAS WET... yeah cat pee. That did it for me. I locked him in the untility room this morning. I'm thinking outside only cat.... but we live in the country, so I'm sure the animals will get him. IDK what to do!!!

♥Jacqueline said...

Well, when we experienced the same issues with Willie and Furball, we had no choice but to make them outdoor cats. We even set it up for them to have a warm blanket to sleep on during the cold months, and it seemed to work out well. I tell ya, the stench was almost unbearable. If you don't want to take her to the pound, make her an outdoors only... That's my suggestion...

CreativeMish said...

Not an easy decision because I know how attached we get to our pets. They're part of the family... Keep outside...