Friday, January 18, 2013

The Braces Adventure - Meeting the Oral Surgeon

Ok guys, I'm getting less and less excited about this ordeal. In fact, I spent quite a bit of last night crying because I'm starting to question if this is even worth it. Sure, everyone wants a beautiful smile. And getting braces really didn't seem like such a big deal UNTIL the treatment plan came in.

So I met with my oral surgeon yesterday. Knowing that this procedure isn't a walk in the park is one thing. SEEING how it's going to happen? Damn. He walked me through the procedure, which is actually done at a hospital. I figured it was an outpatient thing - in and out in a couple hours. Oh no. This is a big deal.

Have you had your breakfast? If so, here's a picture of what they do. If you haven't, or have a weak stomach, this post isn't for you.

(Note: Obviously these aren't pictures of MY mouth)

So first, the orthodontist is going to place the expander in my mouth. This is going to maintain the space and there is a little notch in the very center where the key goes. I will explain the key in a minute.

 After the expander is in place, I will then have the surgery.  They are going to lift my top lip, and cut through my gums. They will then tap the palate (bone), which will crack all the way to the back of my mouth. This will separate my entire palate. Yes, it's going to give me a ridiculous looking gap between my top two teeth. Don't worry, I plan to go into hiding for about two months. You won't even see it.


After that is done, I will spend the day in the hospital, and most likely that entire weekend recovering. After that, we come back to the key. The key is inserted into that center notch three times per day and I have to crank it, spreading the expander. Spreading the broken palate. The ortho and the oral surgeon think I need about 6-8mm of room. You move about 1mm per day. So this will be anywhere from 7-9 days of cranking. My own mouth. As if this procedure couldn't get any more fun. 

Seriously. How much is a great smile worth?

I sat there and cried last night for I don't know how long. This seems so extreme. And painful. And in a vain sort of way, I really don't want to walk around for two months with that gap in place. This could potentially fall right around the Disneyland trip. Making this even more humiliating for me. Yes, there is a vanity factor here, I'm not going to lie. I already dislike my smile, but jacking it up even more seems ridiculous.

However, I am still doing it. I still have people who support me and tell me "the end result will be SO worth it." 

I'm still trying to hop on the positive band wagon. :/

No comments: