Monday, January 28, 2013

Book Review: James Rollins {Blood Gospel}


Official synopsis:
 
An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators—Sergeant Jordan Stone, a military forensic expert; Father Rhun Korza, a Vatican priest; and Dr. Erin Granger, a brilliant but disillusioned archaeologist—are sent to explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body of a mummified girl.

But a brutal attack at the site sets the three on the run, thrusting them into a race to recover what was once preserved in the tomb’s sarcophagus: a book rumored to have been written by Christ’s own hand, a tome that is said to hold the secrets to His divinity. But the enemy who hounds them is like not other, a force of ancient evil directed by a leader of impossible ambitions and incalculable cunning.

From crumbling tombs to splendorous churches, Erin and her two companions must confront a past that traces back thousands of years, to a time when ungodly beasts hunted the dark spaces of the world, to a moment in history when Christ made a miraculous offer, a pact of salvation for those who were damned for eternity.

Here is a novel that is explosive in its revelation of a secret history. Why do Catholic priests wear pectoral crosses? Why are they sworn to celibacy? Why do the monks hide their countenances under hoods? And why does Catholicism insist that the consecration of wine during Mass results in its transformation to Christ’s own blood? The answers to all go back to a secret sect within the Vatican, one whispered as rumor but whose very existence was painted for all to see by Rembrandt himself, a shadowy order known simply as the Sanguines.

In the end, be warned: some books should never be found, never opened—until now.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
I very impatiently waited for this book. James Rollins is one of my favorite authors of all time. His past books have been incredible adventures, thrilling tales. I expected this one to be the same. It is a new series for him, and this is the first time he has collaborated with another author. I'm not sure if that was the downfall of this book, but it sorely let me down. I expected so many things from this book, simply based on the huge success of all the others. 
 
There are two aspects to this book: the adventure and religion. I can deal with religion in moderation. I don't mind reading about it; in fact, many of Rollins' other books have touched on religion here and there. Honestly, I don't mind it. But this book was so deeply rooted in the subject, I had a hard time pressing forward. I read the book in just a few days - pushing forward through the adventure, thinking that at some point, the book was going to explode as a thrilling page turner as all the others have. It never really reached that point, and I found myself nodding off with all the religious history. Another downpoint was the introduction of supernatural "creatures" so to speak. I know this is a fictional book, and I can deal with that, but sometimes I just can't let my mind "go" enough to get caught up in a story. This book is a classic example. Too far-fetched and too much primary plot centered around something in which I don't believe.
 
I will continue reading Rollins, don't get me wrong. I just won't follow this specific series. I do, however, highly recommend his Sigma series, or any of the other stand-alone novels.

No comments: