Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pregnancy Tracker: 38 weeks

*sigh*

One more week.  One more week.

ONE MORE WEEK??!!!!  That's it?

I have hit panic mode.  Everything in the house is ready to go for the baby.  The hospital bags are packed.  We have a tentative plan of action for Carter.  But the part that is now freaking me out (because I've moved beyond being scared of the surgeries) is the part where we come home.  I suddenly have this fear that I won't remember what to do with a newborn.  How often are those feedings?  What does this cry mean?  How do I develop a sleeping schedule like we did with Carter?  When do they get their first bath?  And on and on and on.  All of these things wake me up in the middle of the night and I spend hours obsessing over them.  Usually between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 5-something a.m.  Which isn't the most ideal block of time to be thinking of this stuff.  I should be sleeping while I can, before the baby arrives and throws off the sleep patterns of everyone else in the house.  But no.  These fears are haunting me.  And I know it'll all come back to me and we'll be just fine.  Logically, I get that.  I just can't seem to quash the fears.

Physically, I'm actually feeling okay this week.  No rib pain.  The back pain comes and goes....though when it's here, it's beyond excruciating.  Right this moment, I don't even feel pregnant.  Until I look at my swollen feet.  Ew. 

I have a plan with this baby.  I know, shocking.  Jenn has a plan?  With lists?  But I also know that babies don't follow plans.  I got my hair done last night - new cut, new color.  I am working next Monday and Tuesday, and that's it.  Wednesday is MY day.  I plan to get a mani/pedi because if I'm going to be laid up in a hospital bed for days, my toes WILL be cute.  But then I think, "what if the baby decides to come early?"  "What if my water breaks"  AT WORK?!!!  How awful would that be.  And how awful would it be to NOT get my pedicure?!  I know, I know....priorities.  A newborn, chubby baby is way better than a pedicure....but MY plan involves a pedicure first, then a baby the following day.  I just hope the baby understands the plan.  ;)

My check-up this week went well.  My blood pressure is up and my doctor told me to figure out how to de-stress as much as I can.  Easier said than done, doc.  The fact that I had just knocked out two photoshoots didn't help, and he was sure to tell me to back off and rest as much as I can.  So, no photoshoots this weekend.  Cross my heart.  My couch and I will become good friends again, this I assure you.

Enough rambling.

Here's what babycenter.com says about the pregnancy at 38 weeks:

Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long. She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.
Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Don't freak out! You will remember. And if you don't remember then you will call Val and she will remind you. :)

CreativeMish said...

Exciting! Just relax. Everything will be just fine. Carter is still staying with me Thursday night right?

Jenn said...

Michelle - that's still my plan if you are still up for it.