Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Review: Babies, a documentary

My office manager recommended this documentary to me, and now I'm passing it on to you. 

I wasn't sure what to expect - all I knew going into it was that this documentary tracks the birth and first few years of life of four babies across the globe - Namibia, Japan, Mongolia, and San Francisco. 

There is no narration or commentary - just the babies and their familes, and their environments.  And such vast differences!!  I actually decided to have Carter watch this with me - I knew going into it that there were birth scenes and nudity (mostly in the Namibia family), but when you get right down to it, that's nature and their culture, defined.  So I had no problem with Carter watching.  And he was fascinated with this show from the minute it started.  I'm glad it didn't have any narration simply because he made enough comments on his own, and asked many, many intelligent questions about the babies, what the moms were doing, etc.  It was an excellent show for him to watch, especially when they showed the interaction between the siblings, and the babies with their respective pets. 

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this show for anyone who has a child.  It's extremely educational, without hardly speaking a word.  The lack of narration provided ample time for Carter and I to have discussions about what was going on.  I was able to watch this via my Netflix instant queue.

1 comment:

CreativeMish said...

Thanks for sharing. I've seen previews and was wondering what it was all about.