Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm Not Cut Out For Customer Service

And for those who know me, this is not shocking news to you - in fact, you are probably giggling at the mere thought of me having anything to do with customer service.  It's ok.  I laugh with you.  I have zero tolerance for sales pitches - especially at work.

For some reason, the receptionist is out today.  Which is probably good considering the little spat we got into yesterday.  However, when she's gone, that means the rest of us have to answer the phone.  Unbelievable, isn't it?  (just kidding)

So I happened to answer a call this morning and the caller ID said "Web Services".  I knew before I even said "Good morning, " that this call was going to be loads of fun.  Below, I break down the call for your entertainment - please notice that my usual chatty-cathy self is lacking for detail and over-sharing.....this is rare.

Saleswoman:  May I speak with Jeff?

(let me interject here and just say, I love when they call him Jeff and act like they are pals.)

Me:  I can check, may I say who is calling?

Saleswoman:  This is Lisa. 

(notice how she doesn't give me the name of the company from where she is calling - I'm sure it just slipped her mind)

Me:  Ok Lisa, does he know what this is regarding?  (yes, we screen calls - we're a law firm)

Saleswoman:  No.

Me:  Ok.  Are you a salesperson?

Saleswoman:  Yes.

Me:  Ok.  He's not going to be interested.

Saleswoman:  (after laughing)  Um, do you even know what I'm selling?

Me:  Nope.  But I know he won't be interested.

Saleswoman:  (laughing again - apparently this is quite humorous to her) Well, do you do any sort of advertising for your business?

Me:  No.

Saleswoman:  Not even on the internet?

Me:  No.

Saleswoman:  Ok, well I guess that's why I couldn't find you on Google.

(which begs the question, how did she find our number?)

Me:  Yup, guess we aren't on there.

Saleswoman:  Ok, well I guess if he's not interested in something he knows nothing about, our conversation is over.

Me:  Yup, it sure is.

CLICK.

See, this is why I never pursued a career that had anything to do with customer service.  And I'm sure all of those prospective employers out there thank their lucky stars I never applied.  ;)  Some of us just aren't cut out to weed through the B.S. day in and day out.

1 comment:

♥Jacqueline said...

Ha Ha. I'm the type that takes the BS in and out. It's rather stressful and you can't leave work at work. You definitely made a wise choice.