Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Updates

I know it's a few days before my 12 week post is due, and I will still do that one, but I had two appointments today and figured I would sum those up and still leave the 12 week post as its own.

So today's first appointment was an ultrasound and blood draw to narrow down the odds of any developmental issues.  The ultrasound was great - about 15-20 minutes of solid baby viewing, on a huge flat screen TV. No complaints from us!! The baby was quite a squirmer at the beginning, which made it difficult to get some measurements.....and then later when the tech wanted the baby to move so we could get a profile shot, it was clearly nap time. No amount of jiggling my belly was getting that baby to move.......not a morning person, apparently, lol!  But all of the measurements were perfect and the heart rate was within normal range.  So at this point, the baby is perfect - of course!

The blood draw is just an additional test they run, in addition to the ultrasound, combined with my age. Sounds complicated, but it's quite simple.  I go in for some additional blood tests in 4 weeks, which will provide more accurate results.....hopefully pushing the odds in our favor. 

I know this all sounds like quite a bit of precautionary measures, which they are, but I'm an information person and these tests are quite standard.  We had them all run with Carter and it really did a lot to increase my peace of mind.

Here's one of the pictures we got from the ultrasound.


 Basically looking straight down on the baby - it's face down and you can see the head, back, and shoulders.

12 weeks and perfect in every way!

No comments: