Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pregnancy Tracker: 12 weeks

So this week is week 12 and marks the end of the first trimester.  The back pain has started to make a regular appearance.....all in the lower back, which I had with Carter up until the minute he was born.  So I'm not shocked that I have it with this baby as well.  No other huge developments - I only gained one pound from my first appointment.  No crazy cravings - just food in general, which isn't shocking.  We made a ton of salsa last weekend with my mom, so there is enough salsa in my house to last me quite a while.

Here's what babycenter.com says about my pregnancy this week:

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, her toes will curl, her eye muscles will clench, and her mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. Her intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into her abdominal cavity about now, and her kidneys will begin excreting urine into her bladder.  (and the ultrasound tech also told us the baby will start swallowing the amniotic fluid, and then pee it back out. Hungry yet?)

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. Her face looks unquestionably human: her eyes have moved from the sides to the front of her head, and her ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.



No comments: