Thursday, May 5, 2011

Family Time

It's been a while since I posted, so I figured I would put up some pictures from the last week or so. 

Carter is a fantastic big brother - he never hesitates to lay down and play with Kendall.  Even though she doesn't really play back, yet.

 My grandmother wasn't able to come to the hospital to see us right after Kendall was born, but my mom brought her over so she could see her newest great-grandchild.  I had to keep an eye on Grandma because she wanted to put Kendall underneath her sweater and kidnap her! She's quite fond of newborns.  ;)
 Sleeping beauty
 The kids playing last night.  Kendall is starting to become a little more interactive - which makes Carter happy.  I told him to be patient with her and soon she'll be able to play a lot more.
Kendall also had her first well-baby appointment this week.  She's up to 7 lbs 5 oz - more than a pound gained since her birth.....the little porker! 

We also moved her into her own room last night.....which was bittersweet.  We started out with her sleeping with me in our bed - a decision that shocked even me as I'm not an advocate of co-sleeping.  However, I'm a very light sleeper, so I never had any concerns, and I loved having her right next to me.  She slept with me in the hospital as well, so I think this is why I continued with it at home.  And then we moved her into the playpen, which has a bassinet attachment.  And then when my hormones and mood started to get a little concerning (see below), Eric took everything from the playpen and moved it all into her crib.  I wasn't at all on-board with the decision, but I did sleep better last night, I will admit that.

I also had an appointment with my doctor.  Recovery time for a c-section is 6 weeks, minimum.  My incision looks good and I'm down to just internal pain at this point, which is all relative to my activity level.  So, as long as I take it easy, I should heal just fine.  And I'm also down to pre-Kendall weight, though I don't feel or look it yet.

I'm also having some problems with my hormones and "mood".  Not something that pleases me, and something that definitely has people in my life concerned.  I know wacked-out hormones are perfectly normal after pregnancy, and I plan to just keep an eye on them and make sure they are getting better, rather than worse.  I think a lot of my problems stem from the fact that I feel extremely guilty for Carter and changing his life.  I know, in the long run, Carter is going to have so much fun with a sister and we are giving him someone to play with, and share life with......but the "long run" seems like so far away.  And the guilt also comes from telling him to settle down or be quiet or wait until Kendall is done eating, etc.  I feel bad because this was his house first, and he was the center of our every move before Kendall came along.  So when I see the look of disappointment on his face when he's told to "hang on" just breaks this mama's heart.

And having three people in the house who need me and my time is also overwhelming.  It's very easy to lose all sense of yourself, especially with a new baby in the house.  Everyone is trying to adjust and the mom is always the one to help and make things better.  But it seems like everyone forgets about the mom and her feelings, let alone if she's healing from a major surgery.  But I'm trying to find a balance, and I know everything will soon fall into place.

5 comments:

Brandy said...

Oh Jenn, it is so brave for you to put this all out there! I'm sure it's difficult!

Don't forget to ask for help if you need it. I'm certain that you are surrounded by people who love you and are willing to lend a helping hand! :)

♥Jacqueline said...

On a brighter note Mama, I remember a post you did about Carter not looking much like you. Well, I have to say that cute lil baby of yours is the spittin' image of you! Good Job! :)

CreativeMish said...

Don't worry so much about Carter. Most of us have survived having younger siblings and turned out just fine. He'll be an awesome big brother.

And don't forget to let me know if you need help with anything... I know I only have weekend but it's better than nothing :)

Jenn said...

Thanks, ladies! And Michelle, I will definitely take you up on that offer!

Itskellerific said...

I love you!