Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Line of CRAP

So I called in last night to pay my internet bill.  I could have paid it online, but they charge a fee to do that.  We all know how I feel about places that charge a fee to take your money.  Seems like double-dipping to me.  So I called in to use the automated system because that's still free.....for now.  I managed to get to the payment menu and that's where I ran into problems.  The automated system continually failed to recognize my "yes" or "no" command prompts (seriously, how complicated is it?), and then further failed to recognize when I would press "1" for yes or "2" for no.  So it eventually kicked me over to a customer service rep - who spoke English, thank you very much.  I explained to the person that the automated system was having problems and I simply needed to pay my bill.  So we went through the process of repeating my payment information, the payment amount, confirming virtually everything about my identity, having Eric authorize me on the account so that they would accept MONEY, and then she spoke the words that ultimately set me off:

"And there is a $4 charge for me taking the payment over the phone."

Hold the boat.

Back up.

Say that again?

"Yes, there is a $4 charge if you make the payment to a customer service rep as opposed to the automated system."

Deep breath.

And ever-so-politely (FOR REAL!!), I said:  "Ok, then I hereby request that you waive the $4 charge since it's not my fault the automated system doesn't recognize voice command prompts, or when I push a button."

I was then informed, "ma'am, I can't waive the $4 charge."

"Oh yes you can, you can adjust anything on my bill from your computer - adjust the $4.  And if you can't adjust it, simply add a $4 credit.  I've dealt with you people enough to know what you supposedly can and cannot do."  (At which point, Eric starts laughing and says "oh jesus")

So we go through the exchange a while longer, until she ultimately tells me that she has to put the $4 charge on there, and then she can fill out a waiver form and submit it to the supervisor, who will approve it.  FINE.  As long as I get my $4 back.  And $4 won't break my bank, trust me.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that stupid fee simply because the automated system isn't so automated.

3 comments:

♥Jacqueline said...

OMG! I feel your pain on that one. Trust me!

Perfectly Unperfect said...

I can not stand that. I pay mine online...which is free for us.

I refuse to pay a service charge so that I can pay my bill.

It just doesn't make sense to me!

Itskellerific said...

Bank of America, baby. You can pay all your bills online, from your account, from their website. Fee free. Doesn't get any easier than that. For me, anyway. I switched to them recently for that reason.