Tuesday, December 22, 2009

He's Alive

My day started out pretty normal. Got up, got myself and the child ready, went to work. All things "system go". And then 9:37 a.m. rolled around and my world got ROCKED. I got a call from my husband, who informed me that he just accidentally shot himself in the heart with his nail gun. With a 16 penny ring shank nail, which is 3+ inches long. The longest nail you can get. Into.HIS.HEART. Here is what one looks like.

How do I know? Because this is the one they removed from his heart. FROM HIS HEART. I'm going to keep saying it because it's still so surreal to me.

So he went on in the call to tell me that he loved me more than anything and that he didn't know if the ambulance would make it in time. Basically the call every wife NEVER wants to hear. EVER. It will resonate in my brain every day for the rest of my life.

So they transported him to McCall hospital (he was working in Donnelly), where they performed a preliminary x-ray of his chest. The doctor decided to forego all additional treatment, and they life-flighted him down to Boise. He was taken into surgery immediately.

The nail shot through two chambers of his heart. Naturally, the surgeons didn't want to just pull it out, so they had to open up his entire chest cavity to access the heart. They were able to remove the nail and repair two of the holes. There is still a hole between the two chambers, which SHOULD heal on its own.

So he stays in the cardiovascular ICU at the hospital through Christmas. He will be off work for four weeks after that. He has a long, long recovery ahead of him. Please keep him in your thoughts.



(these are pictures of pictures.....obviously I wasn't in the OR with him)
I do have an x-ray picture, but for some reason, my phone isn't sending the picture to my e-mail at the moment. So I will post that picture as soon as I can. In the meantime, think happy thoughts and remember to tell everyone you love them every chance you get.

1 comment:

Amy and Cole said...

I want you to know I have been praying for the three of you since I got the news. I know I haven't been around, but know that you guys are in my thoughts and prayers! Jenn, you are a strong woman! I know that you two are meant to have such a long and happy life together! I am so thankful that he made it through! He definately has an angel or two on his side! Merry Christmas!