Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Recap

Christmas this year was a little unusual, compared to the norm. Christmas Eve Day, I dropped Carter off at my parents' house and spent a good chunk of the day with Eric. The hospital is no place for a 2 year old, and I was desperately in need of some time with Eric to absorb the events of the week. So I spent the afternoon with him, and then headed over to my parents' house for Christmas Eve celebration.
My brother's girlfriend was spending time with her family, so it was almost like "old times" with just the four of us......and Carter as our entertainment. ;) We cooked up some good finger foods, enjoyed some laughs, and opened some great gifts.


My little dinosaur lovin' boy.

One of my favorite things he got was an easel. I love that he's artistic and creative.

Christmas Day, I received the best gift I could ever ask for: my husband was discharged from the hospital. Granted, he has a 6 week road to recovery, but he was able to come home to spend Christmas with his family.

Carter's Santa present wasn't exactly presented in the usual fashion, but he was a very happy boy nonetheless! He LOVES his race track!

By mid-afternoon, Eric's family arrived at our house and the feast/gift opening began.
More laughs were had. Stories were told. Games were played. And bellies were FULL.
Saturday evening was my dad's side of the family's white elephant gift exchange/Christmas celebration. There were 2 other little guys there for Carter to play with, and he had such a great time!

Someone is feeling a little better! My brother and his girlfriend, Tracy.

Carter playing with Fox and Brennan.

Have you ever tried opening a present without asking Carter if he wants to help? It doesn't go over well, trust me. Look at the glare on his face!!
But he LOVED having little friends to play with. A glimpse of his loving nature with a younger baby around? Most definitely.

Let me tell you something about Christmas this year.....I didn't even care about the presents. Not that I usually do, but this year was definitely a year to cherish family. This Christmas could have turned out completely different had one minor thing gone wrong with Eric's injury and treatment. I could have been burying him. Instead, everything went extremely well and I get to keep the love of my life around.


And more importantly, my little boy gets his daddy. And that's the best Christmas present I could ever ask for.



4 comments:

Brandy said...

WOW. Eric looks amazing.

I seriously get teary eyed everytime I read about it on your blog. What a blessing, in this season, to be reminded of what is TRULY important. =)

♥Jacqueline said...

Me too! I almost cried too! I'm glad that you both get to keep him around til he's like 200 ;o)

Adorned with Lace said...

What a great post Jenn! It is truly a miracle and a blessing that he survived. It really makes you stop an think whats really important! What a great time of year though that we can look back and rejoice over such a miracle! woo hoo!! Love the pics:)

Barbara said...

Jen,
It is amazing how our lives can change so dramatically in a second. I do believe Eric's injury serves as a reminder to live every moment to the fullest. Love to hear he is doing good.
Hugs to you Barbara