Monday, February 11, 2013

Movie Review: The Hobbit



Eric and I had date night on Friday, so we decided to see The Hobbit since I think this is the last weekend it's in Regal theaters, and I needed to use my passes.

The Hobbit is a story that is near and dear to my heart. Back in my freshman year of high school, my family got stranded at our cabin in Lowman. Some serious snow had come down, followed by a crazy amount of rain. Rain on top of snow in the mountains is not a good mix. There were some crazy mud slides, which wiped out some main roads. We were literally stranded. With limited entertainment, and no power or running water, one of the things we chose to do was read The Hobbit out loud every evening.  I remember some of the details, mostly the spiders.

I recently re-read The Hobbit in preparation for the movie.  I love the adventure.  The movie was a long one, that's for sure, and in the name of adventure, certainly took some liberties in adding scenes that were not in the book. I don't know if this was meant to elaborate on the (lacking) details of the author from the book, or just to stretch this into a trilogy to make some money in Hollywood....you be the judge. The beginning of the movie is quite slow. For a brief moment, near the end, I forgot that this was going to be a trilogy and wondered how long the movie was going to last! There was still so much from the book that hadn't even been shown. But then I remembered that parts two and three were still coming.  Overall, it really was a good movie. The details are fantastic - I would expect nothing less from this director.

No comments: