Friday, July 6, 2012

Seattle Vacation Recap: Day 3

Day 3 started bright and early.  We had breakfast at The Daily Grill....and were seated right next to Bobby Valentine. It was so cool!  We didn't even notice until we were ready to go, and the people at the table got up to take pictures. I told Eric who it was, and then we debated getting his autograph. I decided not to, because I didn't want to be one of those fans who interrupts a personal meal. So we decided to lurk in the hotel lobby for a bit to see if he was going to come out. He didn't, so we went on our merry way.

We headed down to Pike Market and boy, was it crowded! We really didn't even hit any of the shops (that came later), and instead headed right for the Seattle Aquarium.




 The Aquarium is quite large compared to the one here in Boise (naturally). We spent a couple hours here, and the indoor pictures were hard to come by because people were running in front of me, snapping their own pictures. I found it extremely rude, so I pretty much put the camera away until we got to the outside exhibits.


Some of the birds:

 I love the puffins!

 The seals:

 The sea otters - one of my favorites!
 This little sea otter was just born in December 2011. It was much smaller than the others, obviously, and so cute!!

We happened to be there right when it was feeding time for the octopus. They have two, a male and a female. I think they said the female (not pictured) weighed 12 pounds and the male currently weighed 21 pounds.

 After the Aquarium, we wandered the pier a bit. The ferris wheel had just opened up the day before, so the lines were clear around the block. And the ticket prices of $13 each made the decision easy enough to walk away from.


 We did, however, eat at the restaurant immediately to the left of the ferris wheel (pictured above), so we got to see people ride (and hear them complain about the ticket prices).  Eric had to get some oyster shooters, of course!
 After lunch, we headed down a pier to Argosy Cruises. Our City Pass included a harbor cruise.  It was about an hour long and despite a brief rain shower, was quite fun!











 After the cruise, I decided I was going to go up to one of the observation towers. I basically had two choices within a few blocks of each other:  The Smith Tower (pictured below) or the Columbia Street Building.
Below is the Columbia Street Building.  I opted to go up in this one for two reasons: it was cheaper than the Smith Tower (by a LOT), and it offered a 73rd story view versus a 30th story view at the Harris Tower.






After getting the pictures that I wanted, we decided to make our way to Safeco Field for the game. Stay tuned for those pictures!

1 comment:

♥Jacqueline said...

The cool thing about the Smith Tower is that it was the very first "skyscraper" of Seattle. The Columbia tower however is now the tallest. I've been lucky enough to have been in both buildings (my uncle is an Ice Carver) - but you made a great choice for the better views. :)

Can't wait to see the rest of your vaca pics!!! :)

<3