Thursday, August 8, 2013

Life is a Mystery

Over the course of the last month, we have all been on a rollercoaster with my grandma. Her health rapidly declined to the point where she was in the hospital, given just days to live. Family was visiting - gathering around her, and around each other, prepared for the worst. Since the beginning of July, she has been up and back down, and back up again. We are all quite baffled by this stubborn woman. 
 
I have been over to visit her as often as I can - sometimes days in a row for hours at a time, other times every other day.  Sometimes I take the kids, oher times, I just want to be alone.  Last night, I took Carter with me. Grandma was wide awake when I got there and her smile when I walk in the door is all I need in the world. It feels similar to the first time your baby smiles at you on purpose. Carter and I sat down and chatted for a little bit, and then Carter brought in all of her photo albums and we went through those. He climbed up into bed with her and they snuggled.  She has also been going back and forth with eating/drinking. Sometimes not doing either for days on end. Yesterday was a day of pigging out for her - smoothies, yogurt, chicken, pudding, etc. She wanted a yogurt while I was there, and she and Carter sat there in her bed and shared the entire thing. It was so sweet to watch.  My son has such a kind heart and I love that he is getting this time with her.

No comments: