Tuesday, February 23, 2010

George Has a New Friend

So I made a simple, $100 purchase for my camera. A new lens. A portrait lens, to be exact. Back when I first got my camera, I decided that I was going Canon all the way. I wouldn't buy any other lens than Canon - no generic brands for this girl. However, lenses are not cheap. By any stretch of the imagination. But this lens? It really was only $100. And it's the shortest and lightest lens Canon offers. The strongest quality happens to be its sharpness....which is key for portrait photography. It also produced the harshest blur.
This was taken with my Canon 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 (we'll call this the bigger lens from here on out). See how you can still make out quite a bit of detail of the background carpet?

This was taken with the new, smaller lens (Canon 50mm f1:8). It focuses on the subject and nothing else. See how ALL the carpet is blurred?

Bigger lens.

Smaller lens.

Bigger lens.


Smaller lens.

See, sometimes better things come in smaller packages.

There is no zoom - you either move in or out, physically. And I kind of like this - I think I will learn to REALLY like this with my photoshoots. I really dislike relying on zooming. I think it adds noise to the picture, and I try as often as I can to get as close as I can to achieve my shots. I think this lens will make me a very happy photographer. I have a photoshoot this weekend, so I will report back on how the new lens performs out in the real world.

2 comments:

♥Jacqueline said...

So far, so good! :o) Can't wait to see what you get!

CreativeMish said...

Very nice! I've been wanting to get a 35 mm lens.